Friday, March 30, 2012

Mac and Cheese with Hot Dogs and Broccoli

I always loved mac and cheese when my father would add hot dogs to it. I also always loved cheese and broccoli. I decided to merge all these things. This is what I got. If you're not a fan of broccoli (which you should be) then just omit it and carry on. Your dinner won't be nearly as healthy though.

Also, thank goodness for Isa Chandra Moskowitz of the Post Punk Kitchen for coming up with this cheezy sauce. So good! 


Mac and Cheese with Hot Dogs and Broccoli
1 lb cooked whole wheat fusilli (or whatever kind of pasta you like best for mac and cheese)
3 Field Roast Frankfurters, sliced
1 cup cheddar Daiya 
2 broccoli crowns, chopped 
2 cups stale white bread, diced and pulsed through food processor
3 tablespoons olive oil 
1 recipe for Eazy Breezy Cheezy Sauce from the PPK 

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Prepare Cheezy Sauce according to directions on the Post Punk Kitchen's website (the recipe is at the bottom of the page). 

While the sauce is simmering, heat one tablespoon oil in saucepan. Add the broccoli, and cook until bright green. Remove from heat. 

In a 9x13 rectangular baking dish, combine the sauce, broccoli, sliced hot dogs, Daiya, and cheezy sauce. Add most of the pasta and stir to combine. *I believe I had about 1 1/2 cups cooked pasta left over, because I felt like if I added the entire amount there would be too much pasta for the broccoli, hot dogs, and cheese. Reserve for another use.*

Toss the bread crumbs with the remaining olive oil and spread across the top of the casserole.  

Bake until the bread crumbs are browned and the casserole is heated through. 


Enjoy!

2 comments: